Drake held a listening session for his debut album, Thank Me Later, for select members of the press in Canada.
Here’s what one writer had to say!
In Toronto this afternoon a few of us got an invite from Universal Music to meet Drake and listen to some new tracks from his soon–to–be–released album. It sounds like a monster to me. It was really good stuff. And Drake is a nice kid. Here’s what I can tell you…
1) There’s a song on the disc called “Fireworks” that has the greatest beat ever. Drake has this sidekick producer called 40, and he’s talented. I met him as well this afternoon and he’s also a good kid. He’s about to be very, very busy. “Fireworks” has a hook on it courtesy of Kings of Leon. It’s catchy.
2) There is a Kanye West–produced track on the album that comes with a story. The track was made by Kanye for Beyonce, but Drake really wanted it so he wrote her a handwritten letter asking if he could use it. She read it and thought it was sweet and e–mailed him to give her permission. It’s a great track.
3) There’s a Jay–Z/Drake track that he played for us – minus Jay’s verse. Jay–Z doesn’t let anyone hear his stuff before it comes out. Drake claims it is the greatest verse Jay’s ever done.
4) I think the final track on the album is called “Thank Me Now” or something. He played us a recorded verse then did another one live and it was one of the best. Really cool.
5) He sings on a bunch of tracks on the album.
6) This Saturday Drake will be in L.A. doing a track with Dr. Dre and Eminem.
7) Yes, there is a Timbaland beat on the album.
Spotted @ HipHopSite.com
Are you excited about Thank Me Later???
RELATED: New Music: Is Drake “Over”?
Ciara’s 10K for the Holidays
Hip Hop Nutcracker at Altria Theatre
The “804 Sessions” Contest
Radio One and Miss Community Clovia Toy Drive
Cassie Accuses Sean Combs of Rape and Years of Abuse in Lawsuit
Buy Black RVA
iPower Under 30: Lowe Maceo
Virginia Teen’s Cancer Treatment Soap Earns National Science Prize