Here are recent stats on the rate of HIV and AIDS in Virginia.
1. About 21,000 Virginians are known to be living with HIV/AIDS as of 2009.
2. It is estimated that about 50% or less of Virginians living with HIV/AIDS are not in care. In addition, estimates suggest that about 4,500 Virginians do not know that they are infected with HIV.
3. One in 380 Virginians is known to be living with HIV/AIDS.
4. Blacks are 9 times more likely to be living with HIV/AIDS than Whites.
5. Black women account for 77% of all women living with HV/AIDS.
6. For every 5 Virginians living with HIV/AIDS, approximately:
3 are Black
3 live in the Eastern or Northern region
2 are men who have sex with men
2 are ages 20 to 34 at diagnosis
7. Annually, 1 in:
19,100 White Virginians are diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
8. Here are some statistics for Richmond and Henrico. Remember, these are just KNOWN cases…no telling how many have it and DON’T know!
Richmond (city) :
Black, non-Hispanic HIV Only: 1,005 AIDS: 814
White, non-Hispanic HIV Only: 332 AIDS: 243
Hispanic (all races) HIV Only: 52 AIDS: 45
Asian/ Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander HIV Only:3 AIDS:6
Black, non-Hispanic HIV Only: 212 AIDS:175
White, non-Hispanic HIV Only: 86 AIDS:64
Hispanic (all races) HIV Only:13 AIDS: 16
Asian/ Hawaiian/ Pacific Islander HIV Only:8 AIDS: 3
Listed are 5 Locations for FREE HIV Testing:
1.Richmond City Health Department
500 N. 10th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 646-6855 Additional Languages: Spanish, Tele-Interpreter
Confidential HIV testing — Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. on a walk-in basis. No testing is done on the fourth Monday of the month.
Glen Echo Building
3810 Nine Mile Road
Richmond, VA 23223
(804) 652-3180 Additional Languages: Spanish
Confidential HIV testing on Tuesday from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. & Friday from 8:30 – 11:00 a.m.3. Cross Over Ministry
108 Cowardin Avenue
Richmond, VA 23224
Phone: (804) 233-5016 Additional Languages: Spanish
Confidential & ANONYMOUS HIV testing — On a walk-in basis Monday through
Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and on Saturday by appointment only.
1010 North Thompson St.
P.O. Box 6477
Richmond, VA 23230
Phone: (804) 358-6343 Ext 140, Call Susan Tellier for Appointment Additional Languages: Spanish
Confidential HIV testing — By appointment only on Mondays thru Friday (daytime) or Wednesday evenings by calling Susan Tellier at (804) 358-6343, x140.
5. Virginia League for Planned Parenthood, Inc.
3415 Floyd Avenue
Phone: (804) 355-4358Additional Languages: Spanish
Confidential HIV testing –Walk-Ins Monday through Wednesday 9:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m., Thursday and Friday 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Sunday 12-3:00 p.m. Please call ext. 20 for an appointment.