The latest step backwards from progress made under President Barack Obama comes from the Trump Education Department. President Donald Trump, who was caught on tape bragging about groping women, plans to undo guidelines that President Obama established to aggressively police sexual misconduct on school campuses.
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Thursday called for changes to the guidelines because the Obama administration diminished the rights of the accused in its attempt to protect sexual assault victims.
Addressing faculty and students at George Mason University, DeVos said, “The notion that a school must diminish due process rights to better serve the victim only creates more victims,” according to a U.S. Department of Education statement.
In an interview with CBS News after her speech, the secretary confirmed that she’s planning to rescind the Obama-era rules.
“Well, that’s the intention, and we’ve begun the process to do so,” DeVos told CBS.
President Obama’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) interpreted Title IX, a 1972 federal law that prohibits gender discrimination in education, to include the protection of female students from sexual assault and harassment.
In 2011, OCR issued a letter directing colleges and K-12 schools that receive federal funding to vigorously investigate and adjudicate sexual misconduct allegations. The Obama guidelines lowered the evidence standard to a “preponderance of the evidence,” which makes it easier for victims to prove their case.
The Washington Post said DeVos “repeatedly emphasized” that the Obama rules failed to protect the rights of the accused.
That view is unwelcomed by many. The Post reported that demonstrators gathered outside the auditorium and denounced DeVos’ plans.
Fatima Goss Graves, president and CEO of the National Women’s Law Center, told The Post that DeVos’ speech was “a blunt attack on survivors of sexual assault. . . . It sends a frightening message to all students: your government does not have your back if your rights are violated.”
Many more critics weighed in on social media.
DeVos said her department will hold public hearings to gather input before making guideline changes.
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
DeVos To Rescind Obama-Era Campus Sex Assault Guidelines was originally published on newsone.com