Lucky editor in chief Eva Chen is finally speaking out about the magazine’s controversial December/January cover that has everyone asking, “How did they make Kerry Washington look like, well, not Kerry Washington?”
During an interview with WWD, social-media-savvy editor defended what some people are calling an unflattering picture of the “Scandal” star.
“I realize that when you put something on social media, it’s meant to be a conversation,” she told the publication. “I’m still pretty new to this [being an editor in chief]. It’s only been four months, but I’ve been active in social media for a while now. Anything on social media is up for debate.”
She went on to say that Anna Wintour, Vogue editor in chief and Condé Nast’s artistic director, approved of the cover selection.
“Anna as the artistic director was definitely aware of our cover selection and was very supportive,” Chen said. “Anna always provides me with guidance. As editor in chief, it comes down to my decision — and Anna agreed.”
Despite all of the naysayers, the new editor in chief concluded things on a positive note. “Conversation is a good thing,” she stated.
Check out footage from the cover shoot below and tell us your thoughts on Kerry’s look in the comment section.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
10 Style Tips From Kerry Washington
1. 10 Style Tips From Kerry Washington1 of 11
2. (1.) Learn How To Channel Your Inner Olivia Pope2 of 11
3. (2.) Add A LOT Of Color To Your Closet3 of 11
4. (3.) Make A Statement With Your Accessories4 of 11
5. (4.) Have Your Freakum Dress Ready5 of 11
6. (5.) Show A Little Skin6 of 11
7. (6.) And A Little Leg7 of 11
8. (7.) And Perhaps Some Cleavage Too8 of 11
9. (8.) Get Retro!9 of 11
10. (9.) Show Your Animalistic Side10 of 11
11. (10.) The Little Black Dress Is Your Best Friend11 of 11
‘Lucky’ Editor In Chief Defends Kerry Washington Cover: ‘Conversation Is A Good Thing’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com