Senate colleagues interrupted and admonished Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) during a Senate hearing on Tuesday when she pressed Attorney General Jeff Sessions for clear answers in the probe of possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.
Harris, the former California attorney general, pressed Sessions to identify the policy he relies on to refuse answering questions about his conversations with President Donald Trump.
Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain interrupted first, saying Sessions, who appeared to be stalling so that Harris’ time to question him would expire, should be allowed to answer her question.
Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) then chimed in that he controls the hearing and Sessions should be allowed to answer the question.
Harris later tweeted that “it’s unacceptable” for the nation’s top law enforcement official not to identify “his legal basis for evading questions.”
Many applauded Harris’ pursuit of truth:
As NBC News noted, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), the committee’s vice chairman, and other committee members interrupted Sessions during his meandering answers. Yet Harris was the only senator rebuked for pressing the attorney general. Some viewed the incident through the lens of sexism and racism.
That wasn’t the first time that Harris was called out for aggressively pursuing answers and clarity from a witness.
CNN reported that Burr disrupted Harris during her questioning of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, chiding her for interrupting the witness’ response. Harris simply wanted to know if Rosenstein would grant Special Counsel Robert Mueller independence from the DOJ in Mueller’s probe of the Trump campaign’s possible ties with Russia.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Senators Again Try To Restrain Kamala Harris’ Pursuit Of Truth At Senate Hearing was originally published on newsone.com