The new comedy Loqueesha is currently stirring up tons of controversy for its “new age” form of blackface. The independent film written, directed, and starring Jeremy Saville tells the story of Joe, a white bartender that manages to secure a job as a radio DJ by impersonating a black woman.
Don’t Miss The Latest In Entertainment, News, and More! Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Joe is Loqueesha a sassy, extremely over-the-top modern-day Mammy. Yes, every single disparaging stereotype about black women rolled into one.
The official trailer was released May 10. Since then, viewers have bombarded social media with confusion, disbelief and absolute anger towards the film’s depiction of black women.
Saville tried calming the masses by comparing his film to The Wayans’ Brothers 2004 hit comedy, White Chicks. He even shared a photo of himself with Marlon Wayans on Instagram captioned, “With @marlonwayans, @LoqueeshaMovie meet #WhiteChicks. Have a great weekend everybody! Thanks for all you do. Keep laughing and lovin’. ”
To which Marlon promptly replied:
I hate when people tag me in their bullshit. It’s annoying as fuck.
— marlon wayans (@MarlonWayans) May 12, 2019
Marlon recently stopped by the King Tutt Show where he was asked about his thoughts on the Loqueesha film and the comparisons being made between it and White Chicks.
“There is a big difference between White Chicks and Loqueesha,” Wayans began. Rebuffing the film for its lack of research and authenticity.
“A good joke means the people that you are making fun of are laughing the loudest. Do you know who likes white chicks most?” He asked.
Wayans went on to say that if you’re going to tell a joke and you’re going to do this type of material you need to do it the right way. In a manner where black women actually want to see the movie.
See King Tutt’s full interview with Marlon Wayans above!
Text “Kiss” To 23845 for your chance at ticket giveaways and news before anyone else!…Standard Messaging Rates Apply
For the Latest Entertainment News:
20 Hot Pictures Of The Wayan's Brothers
1. Premiere Of Sony's 'Sausage Party' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 1 of 20
2. Premiere Of Fox Network's 'Lethal Weapon' - Red CarpetSource:Getty 2 of 20
3. Celebrities Visit SiriusXM Studios - July 31, 2014Source:Getty 3 of 20
4. 2017 NBCUniversal UpfrontSource:Getty 4 of 20
5. 'JENNIFER LOPEZ: ALL I HAVE' After Party And Grand Opening Of Mr. Chow In Las VegasSource:Getty 5 of 20
6. 68th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - ArrivalsSource:Getty 6 of 20
7. Premiere Of Open Road Films' 'Justin Bieber's Believe' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 7 of 20
8. USA - 'G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra' - Premiere in Los AngelesSource:Getty 8 of 20
9. Last Comic Standing - Season 9Source:Getty 9 of 20
10. Rogers Upfronts 2016Source:Getty 10 of 20
11. 'A Haunted House' - Los Angeles Premiere - ArrivalsSource:Getty 11 of 20
12. USA - Dope premiere in Los Angeles.Source:Getty 12 of 20
13. Wayans BrothersSource:Getty 13 of 20
14. Celebrities Visit SiriusXM Studios - July 17, 2014Source:Getty 14 of 20
15. FILM PREMIERE: 'SCARY MOVIE 2' BY K. IVORY WAYANSSource:Getty 15 of 20
16. Zino Platinum Cigar After-Party at the LIGHT - BellagioSource:Getty 16 of 20
17. 2000 MTV Movie AwardsSource:Getty 17 of 20
18. 2004 MTV Movie Awards - Backstage and AudienceSource:Getty 18 of 20
19. 10th Annual TV Land Awards - ArrivalsSource:Getty 19 of 20
20. Ron Galella Archive - File PhotosSource:Getty 20 of 20
- President Barack Obama Shares Thoughts On “How To Make This Moment A Real Turning Point”
- 7 Little Richard Songs That Lead The Way For Rock-N-Roll
- The Great Debates: Best Male Rapper
- The Great Debates: Best Rap Group
Why Marlon Wayans Says ‘Loqueesha’ Is Not Like ‘White Chicks’ was originally published on kissrichmond.com