Santa’s Husband is a children’s book by author Daniel Kibblesmith and Ashley Quach. The book challenges the heteronormative perspective of Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus, and introduces us to the real Santa Claus’, “David.”
David is a Black man.
What about the White Santa Claus you are used to seeing? Oh, that’s just his husband.
Daniel says, “It was sort of inspired by the annual tradition we have in this country of pretending that there is a giant war on Christmas and traditional Christmas is under attack. So, um, among other things we were reading all of the news of the Mall of America hiring a Black Santa Claus last year. And uh, me and my now wife made a joke on Twitter that if we ever had a child, they’d only know about Black Santa Claus and if they saw a White Santa Claus at the mall, we would just explain: well that’s his husband.”
Ashley, the illustrator talks about how important it is for children to see themselves, “Gosh, one of my favorite things about this book, especially as it’s come out, are friends that have children and families that have not seen themselves yet represented whether these are families of color or wether these are gay families with children. […] I loved to see children interact with the book.”
Twitter had both positive and negative reactions to the book.
Beauties, what do you think about this children’s book? Would you buy it for your child? Let us know in the comments and take our poll below.
LET'S MAKEUP: 17 Makeup And Beauty Products To Elevate Your Holiday Look
1. URBAN DECAY HEAVY METALS PALETTE1 of 16
2. ARDELL BEAUTY WHIPPED MATTE LIPSTICK IN 'INTENSE LUST'2 of 16
3. COVER FX GLITTER DROPS3 of 16
4. MAYBELLINE MASTER CHROME4 of 16
5. ARDELL BEAUTY LASHES5 of 16
6. URBAN DECAY HEAVY METAL GLITTER EYELINER6 of 16
7. LIME CRIME DIAMOND CRUSHERS LIPSTICK7 of 16
8. SINFUL COLORS TINSEL TOPPERS8 of 16
9. MEHRON METALLIC POWDER + MIXING LIQUID9 of 16
10. L'OREAL PAIRS INFALLIBLE LIP PAINTS10 of 16
11. ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS PRISM EYESHADOW PALETTE11 of 16
12. SMOLDER COSMETICS LOOSE GLAM DUST12 of 16
13. URBAN DECAY HEAT PALETTE13 of 16
14. NOTE COSMETICS DETOX AND PROTECT FOUNDATION14 of 16
15. FENTY BEAUTY STUNNA LIP PAINT15 of 16
16. M.A.C. GOLD DEPOSIT16 of 16
According To A New Children’s Book The Real Santa Claus Is A Gay Black Man Named David was originally published on hellobeautiful.com