Demetria Obilor, Dallas’ new Channel news anchor, suddenly found herself at the center of a nation discussion on body shaming. A viewer took to facebook and criticized Demetria’s dress, claiming that “she’s a 16/18 woman in a size 6 dress and looks ridiculous.” The internet, always swift with the clapback, pounced on the post and it quickly went viral, living on via screenshots long after the woman deleted it. Then, Chance The Rapper hopped on the bandwagon, which blew the whole thing up even further, providing the perfect platform for a discussion on body shaming.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Demetria chatted with the morning show crew about her experience with body shaming, especially as a curvy woman of color on the news. She explains why, after ignoring a lot of negative comments, which come with a job on television, she finally felt she had to respond to this one. Click on the audio player to hear more on this story in this exclusive interview from “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show.”
Listen to “The Rickey Smiley Morning Show” LIVE every weekday from 6/5am C.
- Hibbett Sports Grand Opening on Facebook LIVE
- The Intersection of Two Movements: LGBTQ Community and Black Lives Matter
- Buy Black RVA
- Newsletter Sign-Up
- IPower Text Club Info, Consent, & E-Sign
- Tulsa Race Massacre Commission Boots Oklahoma Governor For Signing Racist Legislation
- Clock Is Ticking On Police Reform Agreement Ahead Of George Floyd Anniversary
- Gorilla Glue Girl Gives Nicki Minaj Props For Shoutout On “Fractions”
- Angie’s Motivation: “20 Mins Of Doing Something Is More Valuable Than 20 Mins Of Talking Of It”