A middle school assistant football coach in New Mexico says he’s out of a job for telling players to stop using the n-word, KRQE-TV reports.
Thomas Davis, the ex-assistant Mesa Middle School coach, told the news outlet that he confronted the students about calling each other the racial epithet during and after a recent game. What came next led to his termination.
“I did what I’ve been trained to do, corral the incident,” said Davis, who is Black. “If you’re not head in charge you take it to the people in charge and let them handle it and that’s exactly what I did.”
However, Davis stated that the head coach, Gabriel Flores, told him that it wasn’t his job to discipline the students about that.
KRQE said the discussion ended in a “scuffle” between the two men, and the head coach called the police.
Davis noted that his players did not call opponents or African-American players the n-word. He confronted them several times about casually throwing around the offensive word.
The news outlet said the Roswell Independent School District as been silent about the situation. School officials failed to respond to requests for a comment. The district is no stranger to controversies surround the racial slur.
KOB-TV reported that the school district came under fire earlier this year when a Roswell High School student complained about the n-word appearing on a final exam.
Black Americans' Most Iconic Moments In The Olympics
1. Muhammad Ali Lights The Olympic Torch (1996)Source:Getty 1 of 18
2. Simone Biles Wins Gold (2016)Source:Getty 2 of 18
3. Alice Coachman's High Jump Win (1948)Source:Getty 3 of 18
4. Vince Carter Dunks Over 7-Foot Frenchman (2000)Source:Getty 4 of 18
5. Gabby Douglas Makes Gymnastics History (2012)Source:Getty 5 of 18
6. The Dream Team (1992)Source:Getty 6 of 18
7. Black Power At The Mexico Olympics (1968)Source:Getty 7 of 18
8. Jackie Joyner-Kersee Overcomes Injury (1996)Source:Getty 8 of 18
9. USA Women's Basketball Team Wins Seventh Gold (2012)Source:Getty 9 of 18
10. Jesse Owens Crushes Hitler's Aryan Supremacy (1936)Source:Getty 10 of 18
11. Carl Lewis Becomes A Legend (1996)Source:Getty 11 of 18
12. Gail Devers Overcomes Illness (1992)Source:Getty 12 of 18
13. U.S. Boxing Team Brings Home Seven Medals (1976)Source:Getty 13 of 18
14. Michael Johnson Wins Double (1996)Source:Getty 14 of 18
15. John Taylor Becomes The First (1908)Source:Getty 15 of 18
16. Bob Hayes Makes History In The 100m (1964)Source:Getty 16 of 18
17. Dan O'Brien Comes Back (1996)Source:Getty 17 of 18
18. U.S. Boxing Team Wins Big (1984)Source:Getty 18 of 18
Black Football Coach In New Mexico Fired For Telling Players Not To Use ‘N-Word’ was originally published on newsone.com