Students at McKinley Technology High School in Washington, D.C. were in for a surprise on Friday when former President Barack Obama stopped by to give them a pep talk for the new school year, reports the New York Daily News.
According to the outlet, Obama—who has been laying low in regards to making public appearances since his presidency—showed up at the school unannounced to provide students with encouraging words. The Daily News reported that during a sit down with the students the former president stressed the importance of education and making contributions to their local communities.
“I do believe that most of the problems we have are going to be solved by you,” he told the students, according to the source.
He was joined by District of Columbia Public Schools Chancellor Antwan Wilson. Following his visit, he took to Twitter to post a photo from the discussion.
According to the Daily News, McKinley Technology High School is the only public high school in the District of Columbia with a focus on STEM education and is a part of the city’s Empowering Males of Color Initiative.
Although Barack Obama isn’t in office anymore, he still has been dedicated to making change. The visit comes just days after he announced that his organization—the Obama Foundation Fellowship—was seeking civic-minded innovators to join his fellowship program.
SOURCE: New York Daily News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Barack Obama Makes Surprise Visit To Public School In DC was originally published on newsone.com