New York City’s medical examiner’s office dropped a bombshell following the July 11 death of a paralyzed Brooklyn man.
The New York Daily News reports that the medical examiner ruled on July 12 that Brian Evans’ death was a homicide.
Evans, 46, died of kidney failure stemming from injuries he suffered 28 years ago from an off-duty police officer’s gunshot to the back. But a police source told The Daily News that no arrests are expected.
It’s unclear exactly what happened on May 31, 1989. Evan’s ex-wife, Theresa Johnson, told the newspaper that Evans said the shooting, which left him paralyzed from the waist down, occurred during a street fight.
“He got into an altercation, he didn’t know that (it was an off-duty cop),” she told The News. “He said he had an argument with somebody, he threatened the guy, and then he went to turn (when he got shot). The off-duty cop was telling him to stop.”
The newspaper said the police could not immediately confirm that account. However, the police charged Evans with attempted murder. Records about how the prosecutor handled the case were not accessible.
Johnson said the medical examiner’s report brought her to tears, and it left her a little perplexed.
“The death certificate said homicide,” she told the newspaper. “I was like, ‘Homicide? What does homicide have to do with his organs being shut down?’”
Johnson, who admitted that her ex-husband was “a bad boy,” remembers him as a gifted DJ who was always the life of the party despite being paralyzed.
SOURCE: New York Daily News
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
New York Medical Examiner Stuns Police With Homicide Ruling was originally published on newsone.com