Black millennials are forging ahead in the arena of digital technology, according to a new study led by Nielsen, USA Today reports.
The report, titled “Young, Connected and Black: African-American Millennials Are Driving Social Change and Leading Digital Advancement,” says engagement within the group tops the charts, especially concerning social justice and equality. The report is the sixth annual study by Nielsen focusing on Black consumers.
With over 11.5 million Black millennials in the United States and $162 billion in generated revenue, the demographic is a game-changing influencer in the areas of tech and content, PR Newswire writes.
Ninety-one percent of African-Americans own a smart phone, coming in second to Asian Americans at 94 percent, the report states. Black millennials are also 25 percent more likely than all millennials to say they are among the first of their social or work circle to try new tech products.
“Black Millennials are leading the way in their use of technology to impact change and get their voices heard,” said Cheryl Grace, Nielsen’s senior vice president of U.S. Strategic Community Alliances and Consumer Engagement.
The tech industry still has leaps and bounds to go in the area of diversity. Silicon Valley struggles with diversity in the workplace; Blacks only make up seven percent of the tech workforce, The New York Times reports.
As Black millennials prove to be a large source of buying power, tech industries are focusing efforts to increase representation where it counts: at the brainstorming and building level.
SOURCE: USA Today, PR Newswire, The New York Times | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Radio One, Inc. Says ‘#NotOneMore’
Obama Touts Nationwide Graduation Rate Increase
Also On iPower 92.1/104.1 FM:
Stone Soul 2016 [PHOTOS]
14 photos Launch gallery
1. @lifeofdesiigner has the #1 song in the countryyyy! performing live at #stonesoulrva right now!!!
1 of 14
2. Behind the scenes interview with 112 & @djkingtutt804 . Check out the full interview on Facebook live!
2 of 14
3. 💙💖 my oldest princess and I #stonesoul2016 #stonesoulrva #rva #summerfestival #ipower92 @ipowerrichmond #vitiligo #vitiligomodel #vitiligoin #confidence #hot #vitiligopride #nocuredontcare #vitiligobeauty #vitiligobeauties
3 of 14
4. Lil Kim just KILLED #stonesoulrva ! lighters up!!!
4 of 14
5. Behind th scene with @camvseverything & @yogottikom at #stonesoulrva
5 of 14
6. Paris Nicole and MadeInTYO
6 of 14
7. Another @hot1041stl #superjam2016 artist s going live n Richmond for #stonesoulrva
7 of 14
8. @camvseverything backstage with @madeintyo at #stonesoulrva !!!
8 of 14
9. @paris_nicole & @thebellereport backstage at #stonesoulrva !!!!
9 of 14
10. Dreezy @hot1041stl #superjam2016 we live in Richmond va for #stonesoulrva
10 of 14
11. Paris Nicole getting ready for Stone Soul 2016
11 of 14
12. @dreezydreezy just finished up her interview with @camvseverything !!! #stonesoulrva
12 of 14
13. Big G and I #Wpgc #DC live at #stonesoulrva
13 of 14
14. @yogottikom about to shut the city down #StoneSoulRVA
14 of 14