A 14-year-old boy is currently in critical, but stable, condition after being shot by police on Sunday morning in St. Louis, Missouri.
CNN reports that two officers from the St. Louis Metropolitan Police came upon the teen while investigating a carjacking. The officers, neither of whom were wearing body cameras, attempted to stop the young man, at which point he began to flee.
Police Chief Sam Dotson revealed that the officers then pursued the teenager and as they got close to him, he took out a pistol and fired one shot at them. After returning fire, the cops apprehended the boy. The young man was struck at least one time.
Investigators are searching for any possible surveillance video in the area. The officers were not wearing body cameras and their vehicle did not have a dashboard camera, Police Chief Sam Dotson said in a news conference.
St. Louis Police officers do not have body cameras, though some sergeants participated in a pilot program testing the technology last year. Law enforcement agencies in the state began experimenting with the technology after the deadly police shooting of 19-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis.
The officers, both White, have been placed on administrative leave as an investigation continues.
1. Kobe Bryant and most of his Los Angeles Lakers teammates rocked “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirts during pre-game warmups before taking a win against the Sacramento Kings.
1 of 10
2. Brooklyn Nets players Kevin Garnett, Deron Williams, Jarrett Jack, Alan Anderson, and Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving were spotted with “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirts during a Monday night game in Brooklyn. Here, they pose with rapper Jay Z.
2 of 10
3. Cleveland Browns cornerback Johnson Bademosi rocks an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt during warm-ups before a Sunday game.
3 of 10
4. St. Louis Rams players Jared Cook and wide receivers Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Kenny Britt take part in the silent demonstration with their “Hands Up!” on the field to protest police violence.
4 of 10
5. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an “I can’t breathe” tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
5 of 10
6. Soccer player Anthony Ujah showed his support for Eric Garner after scoring a goal.
6 of 10
7. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an “I can’t breathe” tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
7 of 10
8. Detroit Lions’ Reggie Bush decided to wear a warm-up shirt with the phrase “I can’t breathe” scrawled over the front as a way to protest the death of Eric Garner and challenge police violence nationwide.
8 of 10
9. During the warm-up session for the Chicago vs. Golden State game, Chicago Bulls superstar Derrick Rose was seen rocking a t-shirt that read “I Can’t Breathe,” in honor of Eric Garner.
9 of 10
10. St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Davin Joseph wrote Garner’s last words on his cleats ahead of a game against the Washington Redskins.
10 of 10
Continue reading 14-Year-Old Boy In Critical Condition After Being Shot By Two Cops
“I Can’t Breathe!” Sports Players Who Stand In Solidarity With Eric Garner, Mike Brown Protesters (PHOTOS)