An Urban Institute analysis discovered an average of 55 PokéStops in White neighborhoods, but only 19 located in Black communities, USA Today reports.
The Belleville News-Democrat confirmed the racial divide when it looked at areas of Detroit, New York City, Miami, and Chicago.
“It turns out Niantic, which makes Pokemon Go, relied on a map from a previous augmented reality game called Ingress, which was crowd-sourced from its mostly [White] male, tech-savvy players,” Aura Bogado explained in a blog post on Grist.org.
Yes, that’s how the game developed, but there’s a bigger issue involved, according to some observers.
Bogado said the most popular smart phone game app gives White people an advantage. “That’s how systemic inequity works: It influences every facet of life, even in augmented reality,” Bogado added.
There’s also widespread criticism among many app users who suggest that it redlines communities. Redlining is the practice of selectively discriminating against people of color based on the areas where they live.
“This is not a new story in terms of a product having some type of — whether intended or unintended — discriminatory effect,” Safiya Umoja Noble, professor of information studies and African-American studies at UCLA, told USA Today.
Noble pointed to Amazon’s same-day prime delivery service, which bypasses predominantly Black neighborhoods.
SOURCE: USA Today, Belleville News-Democrat , Grist.Org | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Black Data Processors Seek To Increase The Number Of African-Americans In Tech
Husband Makes Black Game Developer Barbie For His Wife After Noticing Mattel’s Lack Of Diversity
Also On iPower 92.1/104.1 FM:
Stone Soul 2016 [PHOTOS]
14 photos Launch gallery
1. @lifeofdesiigner has the #1 song in the countryyyy! performing live at #stonesoulrva right now!!!
1 of 14
2. Behind the scenes interview with 112 & @djkingtutt804 . Check out the full interview on Facebook live!
2 of 14
3. 💙💖 my oldest princess and I #stonesoul2016 #stonesoulrva #rva #summerfestival #ipower92 @ipowerrichmond #vitiligo #vitiligomodel #vitiligoin #confidence #hot #vitiligopride #nocuredontcare #vitiligobeauty #vitiligobeauties
3 of 14
4. Lil Kim just KILLED #stonesoulrva ! lighters up!!!
4 of 14
5. Behind th scene with @camvseverything & @yogottikom at #stonesoulrva
5 of 14
6. Paris Nicole and MadeInTYO
6 of 14
7. Another @hot1041stl #superjam2016 artist s going live n Richmond for #stonesoulrva
7 of 14
8. @camvseverything backstage with @madeintyo at #stonesoulrva !!!
8 of 14
9. @paris_nicole & @thebellereport backstage at #stonesoulrva !!!!
9 of 14
10. Dreezy @hot1041stl #superjam2016 we live in Richmond va for #stonesoulrva
10 of 14
11. Paris Nicole getting ready for Stone Soul 2016
11 of 14
12. @dreezydreezy just finished up her interview with @camvseverything !!! #stonesoulrva
12 of 14
13. Big G and I #Wpgc #DC live at #stonesoulrva
13 of 14
14. @yogottikom about to shut the city down #StoneSoulRVA
14 of 14